A Million Bucks – No Longer a Million Bucks?Posted by William
One Million Dollars. For many of us this sounds like a lot of money. However is the concept of this being outdated valid? Does the word millionaire still bring thoughts of luxuries, excessive lifestyles, fast cars, fine dining and waterfront living. Or do we have to “up” it a level where no longer does a million dollars put you on the level of society’s elite.
I’m going to list the things one million dollars will buy you today:
- 1/4 New York Apartment
- 1/2 season in the GP2 racing championship
- A few good diamonds
- 5 yrs off
- 1/2 Bugatti Veyron
- Medium sized yacht
- 1/100 of the way to creating GTA IV
- An investment property (then the value will plummet and you no longer have close to 1million!)
- 2-3 Yrs Medical Insurance (As a practicing Doctor)
- 200,000 McDonald’s Happy Meals
- 500,000 Mars Bars
- 10,000 bottles of Moet
- 1 Law suit
- You business overdraft (Interest only!)
Its a pretty strange list but you’d expect a strange list when your wondering how to spend a million bucks. But after you write the list the only things you can buy substantially are smaller ticket items (ie the Mars Bars). The stuff your teen dreams are made of, or those investment and work essentials, are no longer the calling cards of those who have stumbled upon that magic million.
Yes one million dollars is a crap load of money but the bar has been raised. To shake the hand of a millionaire isn’t what it once was.